How to update a PrintConnect via USB key w/config and director.jar - c06296832
To upgrade PrintConnect via USB, you’ll need to complete the following tasks:
- Download the PrintConnect 1.1AV upgrade file and the PrintConnect Configuration Utility from PrinterOn.
- Create the PrintConnect configuration file.
- Install the Configuration file onto the PrintConnect device.
Download files from PrinterOn
To upgrade your PrintConnect via USB, you’ll need two files from PrinterOn:
- The PrintConnect version 1.1AV upgrade file. This is the version of the software that will be installed on the PrintConnect device.
- The PrintConnect Configuration Utility. This tool allows you to create a configuration file that directs the PrintConnect device to install the upgrade file.
To download the files:
- In your browser, download the upgrade file at: www.printeron.net/download/focus_pda/director.jar
- Navigate to the PrinterOn downloads page at: www.printeron.com/services-support/downloads.html
- On the Downloads page, click Download PrintConnect Configuration Utility (ConfigAuth.jar).
The PrintConnect Configuration Utility requires that you have JRE version 1.6.0 (that is, Java Version 6) or later installed on your computer.
You can get the latest version of Java at: http://java.com/en/download/
Create a configuration file using the PrintConnect Configuration Utility
The configuration file provides instructions to the PrintConnect device. This task will help you create a configuration file that instructs the PrintConnect device to install the upgrade file.
To create a PrintConnect configuration file:
- Open the ConfigAuth.jar file you downloaded. The PrintConnect Config File Generator appears.
Enter the PrintConnect Hardware ID value. This is the 12 digit alphanumeric value listed as the Configuration Key on the box that your PrintConnect came in.
If you no longer have access to the PrintConnect box, you can retrieve the ID number by pressing the ? key on the PrintValet. The second line of the PrintValet screen should display the PrintConnect device Configuration Key.
- Enter the Super Admin Password for the selected PrintConnect device.
- In the Upgrade Values section of the dialog, check Software Upgrade.
- In the Upgrade File field, click ... and browser to the location of the upgrade file you downloaded.
- Clear all other settings in the dialog.
- Click Go. You’ll be prompted to specify a location for the config file. By default, the file is called config.
Installing the file on the PrintConnect device
With the configuration file created, you can now copy the file to a USB flash drive and install it on the PrintConnect device.
For this task, you should use a USB key with a capacity of 4 GB or lower. The PrintConnect may not recognize the presence of a higher capacity USB key. In addition, the USB key must be formatted with the FAT or FAT32 file system. The PrintConnect cannot read files on a USB key that is formatted with the NTFS file system.
To install the upgrade file:
- Copy the config and director.jar files to your USB drive.
- Insert the USB drive into one of the USB ports on the PrintConnect.
- Cycle the power on the PrintConnect. The file is processed and PrintConnect reboots to ensure that all configuration values are updated correctly.
After the reboot, if the file was read successfully, the config file is renamed config.bak.